4100 Laclede

1912- 1926?
Third Factory, now home of Dorris Lofts.
Designed by John Ludwig Wees.

Although residential commissions remained an important part of his practice (4626 Maryland, 5032 McPherson, 5239 Westminster, 4487 Westminster, 3558 Crittenden, 3225 Longfellow, #30 Brentmoor Park, etc.), it was a 1902 commission from wholesale grocer Henry B. Krenning that led to Wees' most innovative St. Louis work: the 1911-12 Dorris Motor Car factory and showroom at 4100 Laclede.

(Krenning was President and the major shareholder in the Dorris venture.) Wees' Dorris Building is the earliest known St. Louis example of mushroom capital/paneled slab construction, the most advanced reinforced concrete technology of the day and one eminently suited for the new automobile industry.

Later the building served as a deanship for Lindberg Cadillac. The building was converted to residential units in 1985 and named The Dorris Lofts.

dorris%20factory%201919.jpg
Dorris Factory 1919
dorris%20showroom%201919.jpg
Dorris Showroom 1919

Factory Building, unknown location.
Dorris_Commercial_Vehicles.jpg



View Larger Map